My wife is going to blow a gasket... (was Re: [mythtv-users] PVR-350 (hard) lockups, Fixed!)

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sun Mar 13 13:29:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 03:11 -0500, Maverick wrote:
> My girlfriend thought I was crazy for spending over $600, because, I
> quote "could have got a new Tivo to replace my old ReplayTV for less,
> including the lifetime subscription".
>
> Once I showed her the automatic commercial skip on her favorite movies
> and all the friends episodes it can record, she said "Wow this thing
> it cool!"
>
> Now I can see I'll need another hard drive and tuner to record and
> store everything she manages to schedule!
>
> Clearly coolness factor makes up for a couple hundred bucks!! :)

"You're crazy" and "You're crazy, there's no way you're going
to spend that much money on a Tivo!" is the difference between
"girlfriend" and "wife". ;)

Here's the latest parts list:
Antec Aria case                                 $100
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350                          170
Streamzap PC Remote                               27
MSI K7N2GM-V nForce2 mobo                         55
Sempron 2300+ (Retail)                            65
RAM PC3200 256MB                                  23
Samsung 160GB Model SP1614C HDD SATA (OEM)        65
Shipping, ground (New Egg and PCAlchemy)          30
                                                 ---
                                                 535

For now, if I want to burn DVDs, I'll just scp them
to "my" PC.

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:12:35 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson at cox.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 17:16 -0500, Maverick wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Newegg Order, prices are a couple weeks ago...
> > [BIG SNIP]
> >
> >   SilverStone Lascala SST-LC11 HTPC Case, Black   $135
> >   Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350                          170
> >   Streamzap PC Remote                               27
> >   Chaintech 7NIF4 mobo                              72
> >   XP 2500+ Barton                                   80
> >   RAM PC3200 256MB (2)                              45
> >   Samsung 160GB Model SP1614C HDD                  100
> >   BenQ Dual-Layer DVD+-RW Drive                     50
> >   Shipping, ground (New Egg and PCAlchemy)          40
> >                                                    ---
> >                                                   ~720

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red
again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than
a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."
Jack Handey