My wife is going to blow a gasket... (was Re: [mythtv-users] PVR-350 (hard) lockups, Fixed!)

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 14:14:43 UTC 2005

> "You're crazy" and "You're crazy, there's no way you're going
> to spend that much money on a Tivo!" is the difference between
> "girlfriend" and "wife". ;)

Yeah, and I hear those new child processes know as "Kid version 1.0"
and subsequent versions 2.0 and 3.0 also cause budgets to decline.
Doh!

> Here's the latest parts list:
> Antec Aria case                                 $100
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350                          170
> Streamzap PC Remote                               27
> MSI K7N2GM-V nForce2 mobo                         55
> Sempron 2300+ (Retail)                            65
> RAM PC3200 256MB                                  23
> Samsung 160GB Model SP1614C HDD SATA (OEM)        65
> Shipping, ground (New Egg and PCAlchemy)          30
>                                                  ---
>                                                  535
>
> For now, if I want to burn DVDs, I'll just scp them
> to "my" PC.

I didn't do any media drive, no point really. Neet, but SMB/NFS/SCP
makes it so easy to move transcoded shows to another computer.

Another option is go with a board with svideo out, and get a cheaper
tuner.  $70 for a PVR-150.. I hear support for it is becoming stable,
no FM support yet though, (ivtv version 0.3.x). You'd spend $20 more
on the mobo, but -$100 on the tuner. Unless you plan on using the FM
or IR port on the 350...

I'm still somewhat undecided about how I like the 350 out. It's nice,
but it has it's quirks... Of course, it's the only hardware decoding
option, so... I want to try out the nVidia out of my mobo, just
haven't had the time to set it up and research the XvMC stuff I know
nothing about.

-Kenneth