[mythtv-users] [OT] How may bytes available on a single layer DVD-R?

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sun Mar 13 17:59:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 12:02 -0500, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > How may bytes or MB is the capacity of a DVD-R disc? I am currently using a
> > guessitimate of 4250MB as the limit for my shrinking routine but it would be
> > nice to have the actaul value for fine tuning.
> >
>  	It's commonly referred to as 4.7 GB.  Of course, that's 4.7 GB in
> marketspeak, which means its 4,700,000,000 bytes.  In *real* GB, divide by
> 2^30 = (1024*1024*1024) = 1073741824.  For MB, divide by 2^20.
>
> Thus, it's
> 4.7e9/2^30 = 4.377 GB, or
> 4.7e9/2^20 = 4482 MB

Not marketspeak anymore.  Drive makers have been doing it long
enough that it's not "weird" anymore, like it used to be.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
society. If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we
shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power."
P. J. O'Rourke