[mythtv-users] [mplayer / xine on PVR-350 TV Out] Help!

Mon Mar 14 05:25:30 UTC 2005

Howdy,

I have spent a few weeks trawling the archives trying to get mplayer to work on my PVR-350 TV Out.

I have a nice stable mythtv box running on FC2 with everything installed via rpms from atrpms.net.  It works fine for playing back material which was recorded with mythtv.

I have been able to get mplayer to run in a window under X (using -vo x11) but the performance on my mythtv pc (Celeron 1.7, 512MB RAM, PVR-350) is unnaceptable.

In the help for mplayer it mentions two different types of output, "ivtv" and "ivtvosd".

I'm assuming that ivtv is supposed to somehow convert whatever is played to mpeg 2 and output it via the PVR-350's mpeg decoder - however when I specify this opion, mplayer appears to be doing something, but no video playback appears on the screen (I just get mplayer's time counters).

When I use the ivtvosd initially, I got an "Error with sending DMA to ivtv FB! Invalid argument" error. Some reading up indicated I had to specify "FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1" before my mplayer command to get this to work. This stopped the error, however it did not display any video - I just noticed a flickering band of garbage at the top of my screen.

Basically what I'm asking is :

Is it possible to use mplayer/xine to playback non-mpeg2 material to the PVR-350 TV-OUT? I would have thought my system would have sufficient CPU grunt to do so.

If someone has this working can you post the command line options that you use?

What driver revisions do you require to get this to work? I'm currenty using (ivtv-0.3.2h-71.rhfc2.at) from atrpms.

Thanks.

Michael Cheshire