[mythtv-users] [mplayer / xine on PVR-350 TV Out] Help!

John Kondis jkondis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 06:45:28 UTC 2005

> Is it possible to use mplayer/xine to playback
> non-mpeg2 material to the PVR-350 TV-OUT? I would
> have thought my system would have sufficient CPU
> grunt to do so.

I'm not the expert, but it's been my understanding
that the bandwidth of the PVR 350's framebuffer isn't
high enough to do video mpeg4 decoding.  Your cpu is
probably not that heavily loaded while doing the
decoding; check and see.

In fact, I had forgotten to turn off transcoding and
ended up with some unplayable (choppy, etc.)
recordings in mpeg4 format.  You need to do all your
video stuff in mpeg2 AFAIK.

Caveat: I have not played with MythVideo yet, so I
can't speak from experience there.