[mythtv-users] [OT] General dvb-c CAM question

Johan Kihlström johan.kihlstrom at bredband.net
Mon Mar 14 22:27:06 UTC 2005

Hello,

In order to make this work you'll need a CI(Common Interface) where you
attach your  CAM-module(where you put your CAM-Card) You also need a
full-featured DVB-C card with support for a CI/CAM and the right
CAM-module for your particular vendor's encryption system

Here in Sweden there are at least two different encryptions available
depending on DVB-provider
(Viaccess, Conax)

Since my provider uses a Viaccess encryption, I use a Viaccess CAM.
Here's a good possibility of compatibility problems as certain versions
of the CAM-module may be incompatible with your provider's system.

So if you have a full-featured DVB-C Card with a CI and the right
CAM-module it should work.
(typical full featured DVB-C card is Technotrend C2300 / Hauppauge
Nexus-CA which can use a CI/CAM)
Over here there was a lot of problems with Viaccess CAM-modules older
than v4.84
But right now my system is up and running, just a few small tweaks in
the channel database to get it all in place.

So if you can find out what kind of encryption they're running you
should be able to get a working setup.

Good luck

/Johan