[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and MythTV recording quality sample

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 14:47:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:36 -0500, Mark L. Cukier wrote:
> I'm going to have to chime in here.
>
> For me (though in all fairness, I'm not a linux expert and I'm not done
> tweaking all the options), I find the video from Myth to be... well,
> tolerable. Straight out of the box, I had a PVR-350 which produced what
> I considered to be horrible TV out signal (though the capture seemed to
> be ok, and many people use the PVR350 with no complaints). I then upped
> to an nVidia with TV-OUT, and now my picture is... better. Much better.
> But still not anywhere near where I want it to be.
>
> I have a TiVo, and currently I'm simply not willing to give it up for
> myth-- for the sole reason that TiVo's image quality is better.
>
> All this deserves two notes:
>
> 1) I'm more picky that most people about image quality-- eg, I won't get
> pay-per-view because I'd rather watch on DVD, etc (and it doesn't stop
> there....)
>
> 2) I'm pretty convinced that there must be something I can do to get the
> image quality better. TiVo doesn't use any special hardware/software
> that should make its image quality any better... so perhaps I need to
> learn, tweak, and learn some more.

Which distro and video driver are you using, and which versions?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Lead the people with governmental measures and regulate them by
law and punishments, and they will avoid wrongdoing, but will
have no sense of honor and shame. Lead them by virtue and
regulate them by the rules of propriety and they will have a
sense of shame and, moreover, set themselves right."
Confucius