Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re: [mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

Neil Watson mythtv at watson-wilson.ca
Tue Mar 15 15:59:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:43:47AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>IMHO, the right way to do this is to use the "forced command" option in
>the authorized_keys file.  See the manpage for sshd under the
>"AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT" section and create a key on the backup
>server that is forced to run only one command and then use the private
>portion of that key without a passphrase on your client.

That is very interesting.  Does that mean I could have a key pair
without a passphrase?  The account on the public server could have no
shell access?  A connection would automatically execute a command
without a shell? Do you have an example of how a remote rsync or other
type of backup would use this feature?

--
Neil Watson               | Gentoo Linux
Network Administrator     | Uptime 61 days