[mythtv-users] What to do on XBox when the backend crashes

Berry, David David.Berry at dcita.gov.au
Tue Mar 15 21:55:15 UTC 2005

> However, on my XBox I can't click on it.  I hit every button on my
> XBox DVD Remote but I can't dismiss that box.  And since I don't have
> a keyboard hooked up, the only thing I can do is to hard power-off my
> XBox (or SSH into the XBox and issue a shutdown -r now).
>
> What do other users do?

I have a process that watches the backend via this script

#!/bin/sh
logger Starting mythbackend as daemon process...
echo "Backend is running" > /myth/backend.flag
mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythbackend.log
logger "Mythbackend process has died - removing flag and sleep before
restart."
rm -f /myth/backend.flag
sleep 1m

When starting up, it creates the file backend.flag, if it crashes, it
removes that flag.

On the xBox, I have a cron job that checks for the existence of that
flag (via a NFS share), if it's not there, it assumes the backend has
crashed, and reboots itself.

HTH.