[mythtv-users] NVidia, Hardware, Japan, Linux ... HELP!!! I'm going crazy!!!

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Wed Mar 16 02:25:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 10:43 +0900, David Bennett wrote:
> I think I am going crazy! There are a million things to take into
> consideration while trying to setup my MythTV system. I probably
> should say that I am a newcomer to Linux (ie. I don't actually run it
> yet.)
>
> I am in the process of buying a system to run Linux, MythTV (and maybe
> mess around with Asterix). See my comment at the end if your first
> instinct is to refer me to the archives.
>
> These may sound (and probably are) really simple questions, so if you
> could humour me I would be greatful. (apologies in advance)
>
> (1) For Video OUT capable cards people seem to be leaning towards the
> Nvidia cards. Problem is, there are a hundred of them. GeForce4,
> MX440, 5200 etc. Am I safe with any Nvidia card or are there ones that
> do not work yet with Linux? (Better yet a list of NVidia cards/models
> that are safe would be better!) Are brand new models not stable yet
> (driver wise) and which are the brand new mdels?

I haven't kept track, but I would avoid anything released in the last 6
months, unless you have a specific reason to need it.  Driver
development is usually a little behind for Linux, although drivers that
work with other nvidia cards may very well work fine.  I'd also look
through and see what people are using in this list.  I thought there
was a way to search it somewhere.

Searching for nvidia 5200 in past list messages yields about 4 pages of
message titles at 1600x1200 in evolution for whatever that info is
worth.

> (2) Motherboard. I have never used Linux before and there seems to be
> disagreements with what kind of chipsets to use. For example, people
> say that VIA support is not that great right now. I am on the Fence
> between an AMD64 or Intel box. Is AMD64 safe? Which chipset should I
> use? Better yet, are there any chipsets that I should not use? All
> this and I want to keep the box small and cheap. This is the tought
> part.

The consensus seems to be that Intel is the way to go for very fast
video processing.  I don't see any need for a 64 bit chip for myth.
Perhaps someone knows if there is any meaningful code optimizations
possible at with 64 bits with myth?  Of course if you use a hardware
mpeg2 board, the speed doesn't matter as much.

> (3) Tuner/decoder. I would like the Haupage but am in Japan. I have
> been told that the Kurotoshiko card is a clone. Its model number is
> CX23416GYC-STVLP/R. Is this an actual Haupage card or just using the
> same chips? Will it work the same as a "real" Haupage card? If I can
> find another Tuner that uses this chip is it safe to go with it?
> (basically a list of mpeg2 decoders that will work with Myth and can
> be bought in Japan would be great.)

I have no clue here.

> (4) Remote. Again, in Japan so I am not clear. Can pretty much any
> remote work? I see ELSA's all over the place but no ATI remote. Am I
> better off investing in a Universal Remote? Any ideas.

The generic ATI remote I have has a usb driver for the 2.6 kernel series
as well as a patch for the older ones.  It is an RF remote.  It acts
like a keyboard when in use, with odd key assignments.

Of course there are lots of other methods used for remotes.  My favorite
was using a keyboard from newegg.com that transmitted an infrared
signal.  It plugged into the ps2 keyboard and mouse ports on a pc.
Then, whoever came up with the idea, just programmed a learning IR
remote to repeat the IR patterns the keyboard created.

> I think that's it for now. If anyone has any advice that would be
> great. I just want to get the hardware portion over with so I can
> start on the installation! I have stressed myself out enough as it is.
> ;)
>
> As for the debate that occasionaly surfaces as to why people are
> constantly coming on the list asking about hardware when it is covered
> in the archives, I would like to comment on that seeing as in I am in
> that very position.
>
> There are many guides for particular systems, but it is exceedingly
> difficult to find a definitive guide as to what hardware can work and
> what doesn't without look everything up individually. I am confident
> that once I have the hardware I will be able to do some research to
> solve problems, but what would be ideal is a hardware database (more
> in depth than the pvr database) that lists all hardware on the basis
> of whether it works/driver release etc.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Thanks,
> David