[mythtv-users] Live TV - External Change channels does not work ... recording it does (Resolved)

Steve Christall mythtv at mctubster.com
Wed Mar 16 10:15:55 UTC 2005

Simon Kenyon wrote:

>digibox could be my version of the redremote software (well, that's what i
>called it). it does not set a return value. just add an
>
>exit(0);
>
>at the end of main()
>--
>simon

Hi Simon, yes it is your program :o).  It is great!   I instead reverted
the code in channelbase.cpp to add an & to the external command string,
resulting in it again collecting the error code from the detaching
shell, which is always zero.  This also speeds up the channel switching
to how it was, as it runs digibox in parallel with the other myth code.

While you re around, I have been thinking about the Redremote
transmitter and the way it works.  I have no C experience, only some
scripting, but was trying to work out a way of having the device always
powered up, rather than waiting for the power up delay each time it is
used to change channels.

I guess you would need some kind of client server approach, so that the
server is always powering the Redremote, and the client messaging the
channel change it wants via a TCP socket? or would there be an easier
way than that using C?

Cheers
Steve