[mythtv-users] capturing VCR input

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 17 02:48:20 UTC 2005

> > Set your VCR up so that you can hit "Play" on the VCR and watch it
> > through "Live TV" in myth. Then all you have to do is set
> up a "Manual
> > Record" and hit "Play" on the VCR. All you really have to
> know is the
> > running time of the tape being recorded. I have done this
> for quite a
> > few old VHS tapes.
>
> How do you do that?  I want to do that too!

Simple enough. Unplug whatever source you currently get your tv programming
from and replace it with the equivilent output from your vcr. If you dont
have an equiv source then you will need to make some changes in mythtv's
setup program to make the cap card use whatever format you have available
from the vcr. Start watching live tv and manually play a tape to make sure
its capturing correctly. Once you know its working. Set up a manual record
for a little longer then the length of your tape or recoded material if you
know the length. Wait for the recording to start and start the tape. Your
all done except for the waiting.