[mythtv-users] MythTV & pcHDTV

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Mar 17 17:49:34 UTC 2005

Eric Nichols wrote:
> Playback of the initial recorded show is very jittery and the front end log
> shows buffering problems.  I've RTFM'ed and read as many posts I could find.
> I am running a 2ghz machine with nv 5200/256m video card.  Yes all the
> switches are turned on for XV and advanced sound buffering.  And yes I have
> pulled the frontend cvs and compiled it.  No luck, same problem.

I believe this frontend is underpowered for decoding/displaying HD
material.  a 2.8 GHz P4 w/ HyperThreading seems to be about the minimum.
 You may have better luck if you turn on XvMC support, though be
forewarned it seems some operations can freeze playback with this option
turned on -- search the archives (at gossamer-threads) for details.

> Back to my question...
> Can I reduce the capture resolution of my pcHDTV card?

No, pcHDTV isn't really a capture card, just a demodulator.  The
encoding is done at your TV station and you're recording the MPEG stream
as broadcast.  You might have better luck transcoding after recording is
done, though this is quite CPU-intensive.  Again, the archives are
probably your friend.

-Doug