[mythtv-users] Re: Myth Firewire Support

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 18:41:03 UTC 2005

Michael Haan wrote:

>I just called comcast and they're telling me they only have SA 2000,
>2100, 2200 and 3200 - no Motorola.  How did you get yours?  Let me
>also just vent, quickly.  Yet another reason I hate the @#%&$*!!!
>cable company - all they can do is make things difficult.  Apparently
>I can't even buy my own STB to use.  Shocker.

The main reason you can't buy your own STB is that nobody makes them yet
(though I doubt even that's true if you look hard enough).  If you could
get your hands on an STB that supports CableCard, Comcast must provide
you with the CableCard to plug into it, thus enabling decoding of their
encrypted streams.  Note that the current CableCard spec is
uni-directional, meaning you won't be able to use the STB for
interactive features.  CableCard 2 is pending which will support
interactivity.  Most new TVs today support CableCard (or so I've heard).

Now, all you need to do is see if you can find a 3rd-party STB that (1)
supports CableCard and (2) has an enabled Firewire output.  Good luck,
and please post here if you find one!

-JAC