[mythtv-users] Re: Simple video tests are failing -- what other tests are helpful?

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 19:53:09 UTC 2005

Justin Gombos wrote:
> * MagicITX <magicitx at gmail.com> [2005-03-17 13:56]:
>
>>I believe saa7130 is the decoder.
>

> The Philips saa7130 is the chip on the capture card, and I don't
> believe it's a decoder or encoder.  It's simply an A/D converter as
> far as I know.  It's on an AverMedia DVD EZMaker card, which is simply
> a frame grabber.  My video card is an el cheapo on-board card, so
> there is no decoder there either.
>

>>What is your encoder (e.g. ivtv)?
>

> Maybe.  Certainly there is no hardware encoder, and I know ivtv is in
> /etc/modules, so I'm running it.  Is ivtv an encoder?

ivtv doesn't even need to be on your system.  You should remove all
reference to it from /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf.  ivtv is
the kernel module/driver for PVR-x50 cards and their equivalents, which
are all hardware MPEG encoder cards.

>>That is what will be associated with /dev/video0.
>

> Whatever is associated with /dev/video0, it's broken; but if I'm
> understanding Joseph correctly, it's not practical to get a raw video
> stream going through /dev/video0 anyway.  And binding a software
> encoder to /dev/video0 is probably equally impractical.

Could you please post the output of the following commands (might need
to be root):

	grep -i -e "tv" -e "tuner" -e "msp" /var/log/messages

and
	/sbin/lspci

-JAC