[mythtv-users] MobileMyth?

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Mar 18 03:06:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 17:52 -0800, Aaron Stewart wrote:
> I kicked this idea around for a while (I think my post on it is in the
> archives somewhere) but didn't get terribly far with it (was just working
> on building out hardware).
>
> Though my idea had to do with syncing using WiFI to a master server while
> the car is parked, rather than physically attached storage.

Thats what I would do as well.  You need to have some kind of cron job
in either the car computer or a home pc that tests if the car is around.
>From there just setup an rsync server to mirror a tree on the car
computer.

Rsync also seems to be great for web sites, especially if you are on a
modem or what have you.  With a cron job setup on the server to sync
occasionally and a private rsync server, the job of keeping the site in
sync even on a really slow connection is quite easy.

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Andrew Close wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:59:48 -0700, Nathan Hesson <nhesson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Rather new to the mythtv scene but had an idea and wanted to see what
> > > kindof response this got.  I know some c++ programming and am looking
> > > at trying to build a MobileMyth extension.  It would be a complete
> > > linux from scratch operating system that is intended to run on a
> > > lightweight, machine for your car.  My idea is that you have an
> > > external harddrive (be it usb or firewire or flashdrive or whatever
> > > and you select from a mythweb interface or interfacein mythtv what
> > > content you would like to transfer (music movies games recordings
> > > images)  You then transfer then to the drive and plug the drive into a
> > > seperate computer in your car.  It then reads the drive and you have a
> > > mythtv interface to select all of the content that you just selected.
> > > I know you could export everything and load it to a notebook or
> > > something but i am looking at doing something that would take very
> > > little time to select.  Kindof a set it and forget it.  Also it would
> > > be very cool if you could control it via a touchpanel but that
> > > shouldnt be too hard to interpret mouse movements.  Anyway, that was
> > > kind of long so I will shutup and see what everyone thinks.
> > > Thanks
> > > Nathan
> > > p.s.  If this has been talked about before please let me know.  i
> > > looked around and could not find anything.
> >
> > hi Nathan,
> >
> > i like the idea of a mobileMyth.  there may be other plugins out there
> > that provide some of this functionality.  one of my future projects is
> > to put together a carputer and i thought Myth would be a great
> > frontend.  add a MythGPS plugin and maybe a MythOBDII plugin. :)
> > instead of LFS you may want to look into borrowing from KnoppMyth
> > since it's already a paired down distro that is set up for Myth use.
> > unless you have LFS experience or are itching to try...
Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)
University of Missouri-Rolla
http://www.finiteinfinity.com