[mythtv-users] MythTV & pcHDTV

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Mar 18 06:45:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:16:13PM -0500, Eric Nichols wrote:
> Playback of the initial recorded show is very jittery and the front end log
> shows buffering problems.  I've RTFM'ed and read as many posts I could find.
> I am running a 2ghz machine with nv 5200/256m video card.  Yes all the
> switches are turned on for XV and advanced sound buffering.  And yes I have
> pulled the frontend cvs and compiled it.  No luck, same problem.

As Doug said, 2ghz is underpowered.  XvMC may help some, but 2ghz is
really pushing the border still.  Some people have been able to get AMD
2400 systems working decently with using the libmpeg/alternative player
(set this in setup->setup->tv playback.

You can try setting a program to be transcoded after it is recorded.
This would be done on the backend and on 2ghz I'd guess would take 3-4
times as long as the show to do.  I haven't done this for some time but
I set a couple shows earlier this week but haven't had a chance to see
if it worked yet.  If others have done it and could report that would be
the best, otherwise I'll report in a week or two.

--Brandon