[mythtv-users] directv and dish network

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Mar 18 07:03:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 18:02 -0500, David George wrote:
> On 03/16/2005 05:46 PM, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> >If I hooked up a VCR to save some tapes to disk (or even burn DVDs), how
> >would I control that from mythtv?
> >

> There isn't an easy one-button way of doing this.  Sometimes it is just
> easier to press play on the VCR and type 'cat /dev/video > video.mpg'.
> What I did once was setup an input source on one of my capture cards
> called vcr and setup a dummy source for it.

Interesting, I'm assuming this only works with hauppage pvr cards? ?

What does a file read on /dev/video do for ordinary cards?
Is the format parsable?

cat /dev/video0 does manage to completely corrupt my ssh window beyond
even a 'reset' ;p

On a more serious note I was thinking of eventually making a gpl library
for Labview for manipulating video.  If I can just do a read of that
'file' and run it through a function or what not to extract it out to
RGB or YUV, then it would likely be enough.  (Note that Labview is a
visual programming language some scientists and engineers like.)

If would of course have to use existing linux code.  Of course there
isn't a high demand for this, but it might be nice for some people who
would need it to have an alternative to the expensive national
instruments package.  Of course this is getting off topic..

--
Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)