[mythtv-users] capturing VCR input (macrovision?)

jonr jonr at destar.net
Fri Mar 18 07:30:43 UTC 2005

Ajay Sharma wrote:
> jonr wrote:
>
>> Ajay Sharma wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried to copy any macrovision-protected VHS tapes?  If so,
>>> does your capture card generate all these jacked up video files as if
>>> you were doing a VHS->VHS copy?
>>

>> I don't think I have ever tried to copy one of those, is there
>> something on the VHS that would let me know if it had this type of
>> protection? If so, I could try it out and then see what happens.
>

> Well, when I used to do VHS->VHS copies back in the day the resulting
> tape would have really bad lighting which would fade in and out.  That's
> usually the sign of macrovision.  I hear they are developing something
> similar for DVD's so that you can't copy them with software like DVDShrink.
>
> Thanks for checking for me!
>
> --Ajay

Ahhh, I was wondering if that was macrovision. I had run into that also
when I was trying to paste together a bunch of different clips from VHS
videos to make a video presentation for a class, colossal waste of time.

The recording I got from the VHS tape was just as good as if I were
watching it off of the VHS itself. I would expect to see the video
fading in and out with poor lighting but I get none of that. So it looks
like the macrovision is not an issue when recording this way.

I will pay closer attention from now on and let you know if I ever
notice anything different but from all the VHS tapes I have copied to my
HD, I have never had that problem.

YMMV,

Jon