[mythtv-users] SPDIF output works for MythMusic, but not MythTV

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:48:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:41:41 -0800, Noah Knowles <noah_k at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi,  I have an annoying problem and would really appreciate any help.
>
>  I'm running Myth-0.17 on Mandrake 10.1 with a PVR350 and a Soundblaster
> Audigy. When I run MythMusic, I *do* get sound out of the S/PDIF outputs on
> the Audigy, but when I run MythTV, I get no sound through S/PDIF. For MythTV,
> I have to resort to the sound from the PVR350 instead, which means every time
> I switch from TV to music, I have to change the inputs on my receiver.
>
> I'd really like to get the Audigy spdif working with MythTV. In settings, the
> audio device is /dev/dsp and "Enable AC3 to spdif passthrough" has no effect
> on this problem. I've tried compiling MythTV with and without native ALSA and
> Mandrake ARTS support, with no effect.

there may be a better solution than this:
you can buy a male to male stereo patch cable and plug one end into
the output of your pvr-350 and the other into the input of your sound
card.  when you listen to music it will be the same as usual.  when
you watch tv you should now get sound out of the SPDIF port.
not pretty, but it should work.