[mythtv-users] how about autocomplete a TV series? (more than just rec new ep's)

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Mar 18 23:15:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:34:14AM -0600, Lane Schwartz wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:03:41 -0500, Graham Dunn <graham.dunn at leitch.com> wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to try out tvwish yet, but it does look very cool.
>
> The TV series feature that I would love, though, is the option to view
> season number and episode number within Myth.
>
> The idea is that when you browse your recordings to view, in the box
> at the bottom that gives series name, episode name, and episode
> description, the season number and episode number would also be shown.
> I think there's enough room in the box to comfortably add this info.

Unforunately this info is not really presented in a consistent way.

The zap2it database gives an "episode number" but each series uses its
own system of episode numbering.   Some just start episodes at 1 and count
up (no seasons provided.)   Some have the first episode be 100, some 101,
then move to season 2 with 200 or 20, some 1000, some 1001, some 01001 and so on.

Some use letters in the episode number, and the letters are not A, B, C and
so on, but something else internal.

Some shows provide original airdate, which can be handy if you know when
a show started and so on.

In the end, it is possible somebody needs to go and build a big list for
each series describing how it numbers its episodes.  This would be handy
in tvwish and in other programs.

It's not out of the question that you might be able to make a program to
intuit this information by scanning the database for a long period for
every series now airing, and figure out which of the various patterns each
series uses.  There are probaby only about a dozen major patterns, you
would need to do hand work for the minor patterns.  For example, the first
episode of M*A*S*H has episode number "J301" --  I don't know what algorithm
is going to figure that out.

But if you want to do this, it could certainly be used.