[mythtv-users] OT: Reply-To munging / mailing list configuration

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Mar 18 23:34:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:22:27PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:49 pm, Justin Gombos wrote:
> > * Wendy Seltzer <wendy at seltzer.com> [2005-03-16 19:24]:
> > > please contact me offlist, wendy at eff.org
> >
> > I just noticed this list is malconfigured, and munges the "reply-to"
> > headers that users set.  Reply-To headers indicate where *private*
> > replies should go, and should almost never be directed at the list.
> > It is the Mail-Followup-To header that designates where *public*
> > replies should go.
>
> This list is configured properly - ie., exactly how I want it.

Perhaps the suggestion is that now that the list has grown to such
a tremendous volume, this decision about what is wanted would change.
You want to encourage private replies that people want to be private to
not add to the traffic on the list, or so I would hope.

My own taste is that high-traffic lists should normally send replies just to the
author being replied to, you should have to explicitly do a group reply
to get the message to the whole group!