[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA-M

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Mar 19 11:58:13 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 19.03.2005, 03:01 +0100 schrieb Örn Einar Hansen:
> Şann Föstudagur 18 mars 2005 20:42 skrifaği Ivor Hewitt:
> >
> > Mythtv operates by encoding and then decoding the video stream to provide
> > you with live tv pausing.
> >
> > This is why you can watch TV with xawtv and not with mythtv.
> >
>   I'd find that hard to believe ... we're talking about a 1GHz machine,

which when you benchmark it will be about as fast as a 600MHz P3
(extrapolating from my 600MHz Epia)

>  and I
> was able to watch a movie on my old AMD-K6 400 fer kriss sakes.

Which was decoding only, encoding is what takes the processing power. I
bet you are able to watch the same movie on the Epia.

>  My 1.4GHz
> Ahtlon XP machine was capable of letting me watch live TV with MythTV,

that's a 1400+ Athlon or real MHz? 1400+ is about twice as fast as your
Epia and a real 1400 gives another 30%. No comparison.

The Epia is well suited for Multimedia purposes due to the onboard mpeg2
decoder. This is as a player. Mythtv will have to record and thus
encode.

> and do
> a whole lot of other stuff at the same time, without ever going anywhere near
> top use.  But even then, a hardware "encoder" should certainly tip the
> balance?

Most certainly. If you have the pvr150 you should go to the ivtv list
and get that working. Then the Epia will make a fine box. Epia and
non-encoding cards are not the best combination :-)

Good Luck,

Torsten