[mythtv-users] log files too big

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Sun Mar 20 01:05:36 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 05:50:56PM -0500, Mary Strimel wrote:
> hi,
> I have a smallish root filesystem (7 GB or so), and the mythbackend.log
> files are quickly filling my disk.  I have not installed myth-debug; also,
> when I go through the "setup" there is an option for logging that is
> *unchecked* on my system.  In a moment of haste (or stupidity) I deleted two
> of the largest log files and bolloxed my mythtv completely.

I can't imagine how deleting log files could mess up a system.  This seems so
unlikely as to be impossible.  Syslog won't create files it's supposed to
write to, but I don't think mythbackend has that problem.  Even if it did,
the worst thing that would result is you'd get no logging to the
mythbackend.log file.

> once I've done reinstalling it, is there some way to safely purge these
> files, or better yet, have them not created in the first place (or created
> somewhere else?)

Try seeing if you are setting --verbose=all when running mythbackend.  Try
--verbose=quiet or something.  If a lot of info is being written to the log,
try reading it and see if it's important.  I'm also not sure why you think
you need to reinstall.  Maybe if you were more specific with the problems you
are having someone might be able to help you and save you the time
of re-installing things!