[mythtv-users] HDTV on svideo with nvidia?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 17:09:57 UTC 2005

--- Ian <hindumagic at telus.net> wrote:
> To reply to my own post...
>
> Ian wrote:
>
> > Issues:
> > 1) Unfortunately, it seems that the card/driver
> wants to only alllow
> > what it thinks are valid tv modes.  Now I don't
> know if this is a
> > hardware limitation or a driver limitation.  I'm
> hoping that it is
> > just the driver trying to protect the end-user and
> there is an
> > (undocumented?) option to turn off this
> validation.  See below for my
> > setup and log output.
>
> OOPS - I glossed over the driver option "TVStandard"
> that can be set to
> HD modes - I'll try setting it to HD720p instead of
> NTSC-M when I get
> home.  That is probably the culprit.

The answer is even simpler: The S-Video port can't be
used to display anything above "standard" TV
resolution, i.e. 480i.  To use any of the high-def
modes, you must use VGA or component video outputs.
VGA to component adapter boxes exist to enable such
connections for TVs which do not have VGA inputs.