[mythtv-users] OT: 160 gig WD - $40

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 03:12:21 UTC 2005

My comment was in response to LVM over external USB devices, just to clarify.

I don't mean in terms of performance, more in terms of just the fact
that it's an external drive. It seems like a bad idea to base a system
around a removable drive that you can't remove without ruining the
rest of the filesystem. It would be kind of like taking a floppy drive
and gluing the disk into the drive and using it as permenant instead
of removable storage.

If there's no other way to add a device, I guess it's possible, but I
would think it would make more sense financially to add a $20 raid
card or similar and add a few more internal devices. The cost of an
external drive over the cost of an internal drive is really just the
USB/firewire interface, case, and power supply, so it seems like a
waste to me...

 - Jeff

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:53:40 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com