[mythtv-users] Re: Energy Usage of MythBoxes

John Andersen jsa at video.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 21 05:11:25 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 19:40, Brad Templeton wrote:
> Well, no, that is indeed what many always-on servers with 3 disk drives
> and a high speed processor and a fancy graphics card and various other
> cards do indeed draw, all day long.

No its not. Measure it and you will find out.

> > with no documentation to back it up.
>
> How about my power bill?  14.1 cents per kwh.   How about the specs on
> the components in the systems or power meters?

Specs don't mean didly squat.   Follow the thread.  What you read
on the back of the machine is not what it consumes in actual use.

Unlike others here, I DID measure machines routinely as part of
my job.   A high end Zeon rack mount server would draw half an amp
with a three disk raid spinning while copying data from the CdRom.
60 watts.  They have gotten much better of late.
--