[mythtv-users] OT: 160 gig WD - $40

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 21:40:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 16:09 -0500, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:02:01 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
> <sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
[snip]

> With a lack of PCI slots and IDE channels, USB seems like the next
> available option.

Too bad that firewire isn't built onto your mobo.  It's 2x faster
than "high speed" USB2.

> I personally would have opted for an external NFS server before paying
> for external drives, however. Gigabit or even 100 meg ethernet should
> be reasonably fast for video, especially if it's dedicated and on a
> switch, and you can get an NFS server running on a pretty low-end
> system (assuming it supports large drive capacities, of course). Plus
> it gives you future expandability (and you can seperate your
> frontend/backend like that as well)

So why not do it?  You are correct that switched 100Mbps Ethernet
is more than adequate for the task.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"'Reckless discharge of a gun', that's what the officers are
claimin'.
Bubba hollered, 'Reckless, hell!!! I hit just where I was
aimin'!"
Mark Chesnutt, "Bubba Shot The Jukebox"