[mythtv-users] Backend Crashes / Status Monitoring

Graham Dunn graham.dunn at leitch.com
Tue Mar 22 19:53:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:40:20PM -0500, Will Dormann wrote:
> Dave Ansell wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >    I get occasional backend crashes - usually seems to be some qt/sql
> >problem.  Very difficult to eliminate entirely.
> >
> >  Usually, the whole machine doesn't crash, just the backend and/or mysql.
> >
> >   Question is,  would it be feasible to run a cron script to monitor
> >the backend status, either on the same box or from some other linux box,
> >then reboot the machine or restart services if a problem is detected.

look into daemontools

apt-get install daemontools-installer

#include <djb-disclaimer.h>

You've been warned :) but it works ...

your /service/mythbackend/run will look like
---%<---
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
---%<---

the supervise daemon will watch and make sure that mythbackend is
running, and restart it if it crashes.

Graham