[mythtv-users] Myth Very Good at Killing Linux

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 04:49:55 UTC 2005

Well, I've had software that wasn't very stable on linux, I've had
software that brought linux to a crawl, software that consistently
froze windows and now I've managed to find a package that routinely
freezes linux - Myth.  The box is a combo FE/BE and isn't lacking for
resources (AMD64 3800+, 1G RAM, 750G SATA, 20G IDE for OS, PVR-350 for
encoding, nVidia 6600 GT for tv-out) and was actually running like a
champ (recording one show, flagging another while we decoded flac to
different players) with no hiccups (maybe 40-50% CPU usage) until just
recently.  I added a new sound card (Turtle Beach Riviera) so I could
get optical spdif and the setup was about as simple as they come.
However, now I'm having issues with myth freezing the box.  The box is
not under load - running around 5-15% - but pausing, rewinding ffwding
all have the ability to freeze the box (though more often its rw/ff).
Someone please tell me that there is an explanation for why this is
happening.  How is myth taking down this box?