[mythtv-users] Remote Scheduling Frontend

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 23 21:06:22 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 06:40, Jason Barto wrote:
> What options are there for scheduling programs remotely?  From the features
> list there appears to be a web-based front-end for scheduling (although I'm
> not sure how to get that installed).  I also remember seeing an SMS
> interface (text messaging); although I'm not sure exactly how that would
> work.  Are there any other options?
>
> If scheduling remotely I would do it one of two ways, either via SSH client
> (how does the web interface look in 'links'?) or via text messaging (I WILL
> have to look into that).  Is there an NCurses client option for scheduling
> programs to be recorded remotely?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> jpbarto

Hmmm... Do folks not realise that ssh has a rather useful port forwarding
facility?

i.e. You have a machine (gw) acting as an ssh gateway for your network. In
your network you have a mythtv backend running the web server (mbe).

When you are out and about just do:
ssh -L8080:<mbe>:80 user@<gw>
Log in. Now just open a full featured browser (i.e. firefox) and put the
following in the address bar:
http://localhost:8080/mythweb
Hey presto! No faffing around with lynx!
--
Steve Boddy