[mythtv-users] dumb hdtv questions

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Mar 23 21:08:59 UTC 2005

>> 	Just from a raw pixel rate you've got this:
>>
>> Signal	Resolution	Pixels			Relative pixelrate
>> NTSC:	720x480 at 30Hz	= 0.345Mpixel at 30Hz	= 1:1 (480i)
>
> Actually, as I understand it, broadcast NTSC can be more accurately
> presented at around 352x480, perhaps 480x480 at most.   SDTV (which
> would describe what you get from an interlaced DVD or a digital SDTV
> broadcast) is as much as 720x480i.

 	You are pretty much correct... I just said NTSC as opposed to PAL
DVD.  NTSC spec is an *analog* spec, which is rather subtle to describe in
terms of a digital resolution... thus the reams of disinformation and
misunderstanding.  Broadcast NTSC has 6MHz channels, but due to the VSB
modulation frequency folding, 4.2MHz is allocated for video.  At 80
"lines" per MHz, that's 448 4:3 horizontal dots.  With a 0.7 Kell factor,
that amounts to 640x480 maximum "perceived" resolution.  DVD is a little
better than that at 720x480.  The OP was talking about MPEG2 though...
so DVD resolution is a valid comparison.

>> 480p:	720x480 at 60Hz	= 0.345Mpixel at 60Hz	= 2:1
> Known as EDTV though in theory that's any progressive frame rate.  This one
> confuses me a bit.   Films are shot at 24fps, so therefore doing them at
> 60fps interlaced (30 full frames/second) contains as much information as
> doing them at 30fps or 24fps progressive.  With the right decoders should
> be able to lok th same.

 	Yes... do a little reading on 'telecining'.

-Cory