[mythtv-users] Question about configuring X for PVR-350

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:57:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:58:13 -0500, Robert Buchanan
<Robert.Buchanan at millersville.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I (like a few others) from what I can gather am having trouble getting
> TV playback through the S-Video TV-out on my PVR-350 card. When I follow
> Jarod's guide to configure the card and test it, everything seems to
> work OK. I am able to
>
> dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
>
> and see TV output, and I can hear the audio. Now I'm checking to make
> sure that I have X configured correctly to run on the PVR-350. I think I
> have a problem somewhere. X starts up and things look fine on my
> computer's LCD display (connected to my video card via a DVI cable). On
> the TV screen I see a blank blue screen. Should I be able to move the
> mouse cursor onto the TV screen? I can't at present. When I enable
> PVR-350 output in the setup/utilities of the mythfrontend and then go to
> watch TV, I get an error message about audio rates not matching, the
> opprtunity to continue without audio, which I select, and then the
> mythfrontend quits on me. When I disable PVR-350 output, I can watch TV
> just fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I have included some information from my system
> below. There is an error message generated by X and configuration info
> on the hardware.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Buchanan

<snipped>

Bob,

One quick thing - I don't think you need the line:

Option  "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"

in the PVR-350 device section, as you have the ivtv variant (prob
makes no difference though ...)

The other key question is whether you have successfully got X up and
running using just the 350's output? This at least will determine
whether it can run X in its current state, regardless of the radeon
driver.

Perhaps you could supply the versions of Xorg and ivtv you are using.
Extra info may be found in various places in the the Xorg log file to
determine whether each section has been parsed properly.

Whereabouts are your ivtv and ivtv-fb drivers being loaded? (I
manually modprobe mine in rc.local to make sure they are loaded before
X starts) Also, do you have an up-to-date ivtvdev_drv X driver
installed?

Finally, it is also possible that you might not need the "PCI:" text
in front of your BusID (could depend on X version) - some users seem
to need it, others don't. (I don't, using FC2 and Xorg 6.7.0)

Nick