[mythtv-users] Volume problems & TV monitor blanking out!

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 24 15:54:47 UTC 2005

>>> "Ashu Desai" <ashu.desai at gmail.com> 03/24/05 10:47 AM >>>
> Hello all,
> I set up a mythtv using nVidia FX 5200 and Hauppauge 250,
> fc3 v 0.17.

Got close to the same setup on one of my frontends.  What
kind of sound card ?

>2 things I am having problems with.

> First: I have to set up the volume *really* high for me to
> hear the regular sound.

Have you gone into alsactrl and played with the settings?  On
one of my machines, I had to turn up one of the sliders to
about 75% to get close to a normal volume level.  Putting it
higher than about 90% made the sound very distorted.  I
think it's an intel8x0 chipset on the motherboard.

> Second: My TV monitor blanks out if there is any inactivity. For
> this I tried the following:
>
> I did # Options dpms
> I did xset -dpms
> I did xset -s off
> I looked up Bios but power management is off there.
>
> I even tried
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option "blank time" "0"
>         Option "standby time" "0"
>         Option "suspend time" "0"
>         Option "off time" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash.

What does xset -q say?  Then you'll be able to rule
out the dpms doing the blanking.  Check your
screensaver of your window manager to see if that
is the blanking culprit.

I actually just set my screen blanking to be something
4 hours on one of my frontends.  If I haven't touched
the remote for 4 hours, I deserve to have the screen
blanked out.

Paul