[mythtv-users] HDTV Streaming over Wireless

Blair bpreston at collabras.com
Fri Mar 25 02:02:01 UTC 2005

1080i wants, by definition, wants 19.2 Mbps to stream at full quality.  A G
radio (54mbps) does fine with a single stream but multiple clients tend to
cause studdering or in some cases, stream loss if the additional client(s)
are moving a lot of data.  Keep in mind that a G radio will only actually
deliver, at best, 80% of bandwidth but that is if you have but a single
client.  It's a shared (contention based) media (think in terms of a hub as
opposed to a switch), with multiple clients you'll be lucky to get 65%.  Also
make sure that the AP is not set up in mixed mode, that it will only accept G
Clients.  Otherwise a B client might attached and dump your AP down to 11Mbps
(6 Mbps in reality).  Wireless also has some additional overhead for
maintaining the RF space but setting the ring buffer values up a bit has
compensated for that quite well.   I don't know if myth can down convert the
streams to allow greater client densities as I haven't looked into that, but
I do stream to a single client with 1080i just fine.

-Blair

--
-Blair Preston
Principle Systems Architect

"The best way to predict the future, is to invent it"
-Alan Kay