[mythtv-users] MythTV On Gentoo - Thoughts and Questions

David Morrison themorrisons at btconnect.com
Fri Mar 25 06:54:46 UTC 2005

Richard J. Sears wrote:

>Richard -
>
>Thanks to you (and others) for the great feedback. I had a few more
>problems with Asterisk and the addon's :-)
>
>Couple of quick questions. First, would you share your make.conf USE
>flags with me so I get them right the first time and second, Did you use
>KDE or Gnome..?
>
>Thanks Again !!
>
>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:11:51 +0100
>Rickard Olsson <richie at webhackande.se> wrote:
>

>>Richard J. Sears wrote:
>>

>>>I guess I was wondering what you Gentoo folks thought about this. Did
>>>you use  emerge to do the job, did you have trouble later patching and
>>>compiling addons or other programs to make MythTV the best it could..?
>>>

>>I used the CVS just before 0.17 came out and the ebuilds when it was
>>released. The ebuilds were a no-brainer to setup. There are some USE
>>flags that you need for stuff like nuvexport and ffmpeg that I haven't
>>seen documented anywhere (aac, threads and another that I don't recall
>>right now), but other than that, no problems.
>>
>>Most other sundry files are in portage - it's possible that there's
>>something missing but I haven't found anything.
>>
>>There's been no real need for any config file management issues (MythTV
>>has just one config file AFAIK and you normally edit it through
>>mythsetup, the rest is in the database).
>>

>>     / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
>>    / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
>>   / http://www.webhackande.se/

>Richard J. Sears
>Vice President
>American Internet Services
>rsears at adnc.com
>http://www.adnc.com
>858.576.4272 - Phone
>858.427.2401 - Fax
>INOC-DBA - 6130
>
>I fly because it releases my mind
>from the tyranny of petty things . .
>

>"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
>never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
>watching."

Here's mine too so you can compare which flags to use or pull out. Note
that this is my everyday box too so there's a lot of other flags in here
related to other things I use. Also, my box is an AMD Athlon so you
might want to change the 3dnow and 3dnonoex flags if your's is an Intel.

USE="nuvexport ffmpeg lirc dvb divx4linux matroska dvdread theora
truetype encode svga xvid divx gnome gtk kde qt mysql dvd cdr dvdr alsa
acpi cups dga encode gphoto2 mpeg oggvorbis samba x86 -nls mmx sse 3dnow
3dnowex mmxext v4l v4l2 network"

Also, here's my package.keywords file:
dave at office Python-CSV $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
media-tv/mythtv ~x86
media-tv/linuxtv-dvb ~x86
media-plugins/mythweather ~x86
media-plugins/mythvideo ~x86
media-plugins/mythgallery ~x86
media-plugins/mythmusic ~x86
www-apps/mythweb ~x86
media-libs/a52dec ~x86
media-video/ffmpeg ~x86

And my package.unmask

dave at office Python-CSV $ cat /etc/portage/package.unmask
>=media-libs/a52dec-0.7.4-r4

I needed the ~x86 versions of a52dec and ffmpeg in order to make
nuvexport work, so if you won't be using those you can remove them.