[mythtv-users] IRBlaster not working

Darren Rice darren.rice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:29:27 UTC 2005

I built my first MythTV box about 5 months and have been using it
since.  Originally I had a ReplayTV connected to analog cable from
Comcast.  Once I had started using MythTV, I've been very impressed,
and quickly discarded my ReplayTV.  Recently, I moved and switched
from Comcast(Cable) to Dish, and am now using a Dish 311 receiver.  My
only option to switch channels, that I know of, is to use an
irblaster.  I ordered the irblaster from http://irblaster.info which I
received about a week ago.

I've tried to configure LIRC using
http://www.lircsetup.com/lirc/blaster/index.php.  I was able to
complete the instructions, but tests fail.  I can still use the
PVR-350's remote without issues.  Using the channel-chan.sh produces
no errors.  Sending the command "irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE
DISH 1" produces no errors.  The irblaster doesn't change channels

Assuming my lircd config for the DISH remote was bad, I found
lircd.conf files for 2 different TV's I have.  One is a phillips, and
the other is a Samsung.  Using irsend, and the irblaster pointed at
the TV's I tried issuing channel change commands without any luck  The
lircd.conf files should be correct for the TV's at least.  I can point
the remotes for the TV's at the PVR-350's ir receiver and irw shows
the correct key presses for the TV remotes.  Pressing 0 on my phillips
remote results in the correct output of "0000000000001000 01 tv1-0
phillips" from irw.  I tried pointing the irblaster at the PVR-350
reciever(not sure if this should work) and regardless of the irsend
command I try, there's no data.

I've tried using settings for both COM1(ttyS0) and COM2(ttyS1) and
neither work.  I also double checked my bios to make sure the COM
ports were configured correctly.

RH FC3 - kernel 770_14
Hauppauge PVR-350
Nvidia NFORCE2 chipset(Abit MB)
MythTV 0.17

All packages installed are the latest stable releases from ATrpms

I have the following lirc devices(lircd1 is the lirc_serial device)
[root at localhost ~]# ls /dev/lirc*
/dev/lirc  /dev/lirc0  /dev/lirc1  /dev/lircd  /dev/lircd1

I have the following lirc packages installed
lirc-lib-0.7.0-45.rhfc3.at
lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc3.at
lirc-kmdl-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at-0.7.0-45.rhfc3.at
lirc-0.7.0-45.rhfc3.at
lirc-lib-devel-0.7.0-45.rhfc3.at

cat /var/log/messages  shows the following
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq =4) is a 16550A
lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 0

I read somewhere, that you can use a digital camera to see the light
signal from the IR transmitters.  Using cameraI have, I can see the
light from my remotes, but not the IRBlaster.

At this point I have no clue where to go from here to troubleshoot
this.  I haven't yet tried the instructions on compiling a 2nd copy of
lirc.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, does anyone have a
lircd.conf file for a DISH 311 they know for sure works?  I've have
trouble finding a lirc config file I know works with the DISH 311
(It's really new) and the PVR-350 can't recieve IR from the Dish
remote.