[mythtv-users] Two Different Backend systems talking together

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Fri Mar 25 14:32:33 UTC 2005

Hi Richard,

I would assume since Myth can rip dvd's and place them on the system for
viewing at anytime that I could build one of the myth systems with no
cable or channel access and have it simply see all of the rsync'd
content as recorded content..?

I would think that the ability to send files from one unit to another
(much like I do with my replay TV units) or to 'buffer' a certain amount
of the program for playing back on another unit would be very helpful
thing to have, at least in my case :-)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:28:07 +0100
Rickard Olsson <richie at webhackande.se> wrote:

> Richard J. Sears wrote:
>
> > I wanted to share programs and music and stuff between the sites without
> > having to have cable, the music files, etc in both places.
> > Is there any way for one complete Myth system to talk to another and
> > transfer the requested movies or music in the background fr later
> > viewing..?
>
> AFAIK there's no mechanism in place for 'requesting' movies and music
> like that and the DSL is too slow for on-demand viewing over the
> network, especially if you're doing HDTV...
>
> I've been thinking about something similar between home (10mbps fiber)
> and work (3mbps fiber) where I have DVB-T access at home but no TV
> reception at all at work, 500GB storage in the home server and 1.2TB at
> work. I'm leaning towards just having a frontend at work and the backend
> at home and replicating some of the smaller media files like music
> between the sites with rsync or unison.
>
> Since I suspect money isn't a limiting factor in your case, the easiest
> way to solve your problem might be to just build two storage arrays and
> replicate them and the MySQL databases, effectively creating two
> identical systems. But you'd need to have the same cable subscription in
> both locations since both Myths would try to record the same shows. Not
> really a perfect solution, I'm afraid.
>
> OT: This sounds like the kind of feature that might be worthwhile to put
> in a commercial MythTV Pro version - it's going to be a lot of work to
> implement properly and pretty few people will have a use for it but
> those who do might be willing to pay for the functionality.
>
>      / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
>     / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
>    / http://www.webhackande.se/

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."