[mythtv-users] Cheap GeForce4 MX 440

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 19:59:44 UTC 2005

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 05:06:36PM -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

>>My new(er) on-board (Chaintech 7NIF2) GF4 MX 440 uses an NV18 encoder,
>>which IMHO really sucks.
>>

>The NV18 on my ASUS GF4 440MX looks just fine.
>I can't see how the NV17 could've been dramatically better.
>
>I'm using the 6629 drivers too.

I dunno; maybe it's not the chip itself; maybe it's the vendor
implementation.  Mine (NV18) is on-board with shared video memory and
S-Video out; my old card (NV17) was an AGP card with its own memory and
proprietary Nvidia output that required a dongle to get
S-Video/Composite outputs.  I really have no idea what's making the
difference; I only know that on my system there is no comparison, my
on-board TV-out just plain sucks.

-JAC