[mythtv-users] Genre and title to recording profile mapping?

Petersen, ChrisX chrisx.petersen at intel.com
Fri Mar 25 23:27:37 UTC 2005

Does MythTV currently support the ability to automatically map certain
genres (or titles) of TV shows to a particular recording profile?

What I'd like to do is record all children's shows at a particular (low)
resolution and bitrate, while movies and dramas would be recorded at a
different (higher) bitrate.

If such a feature does not exist, it could be implemented as:
- The user selects a show for recording. The genre and title of the show
are known (e.g. "Drama", "CSI").
- If a recording profile with the name "Drama" exists, then the show's
recording profile is defaulted to "Drama" (the user could override this
default in the recording options)
- If a recording profile with the name "CSI" exists, then the show's
recording profile is defaulted to "CSI" (again, the user can override
this default)
- Otherwise the "Default" profile is used (current behavior)

There would be several benefits to such a system:
- Certain shows and genres don't require (either by the nature of their
content or their viewers) high-quality resolutions and bit rates.
- Users may watch certain shows on different screens with different
optimal resolutions (ordinary dramas on TV, movies on a LCD projector)
- Users of MPEG capture cards could select (via custom Recording
Profiles) not to transcode certain genres or shows. This would greatly
simplify exporting these shows to DVD-R. For example, I know that I
always want to export "Frontline" to DVD-R.

I'd love to program this feature myself, but currently our only MythTV
box as achieved such a high FAF (family acceptance factor) that I'm
scared to experiment :)