[mythtv-users] Mythtv playback problem with Nvidia FX5200 card / XvMC hardware playback / TV Out Quality

intent intent at m-net.arbornet.org
Sat Mar 26 06:58:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Michael Cheshire (Mailing Lists) wrote:

> When watching transcoded material (transcoded from mpeg2 -> mpeg4) - it
> doesnt seem to make a difference whether XvMC is on or off (cpu sits around
> 20%).
>
> This is strange - as far as I understood, mpeg4 encoding/decoding was more
> cpu intensive than mpeg 2?
>
> Also there was no cpu difference between mpeg4 decoding with XvMC off or on.
> Doesn't mythtv use XvMC for mpeg4 playback or is XvMC for mpeg 2 only?

Your setup of mythvideo may be different but I've got mine setup to run
mplayer using the xv video output (it was the default). Mythvideo just
calls mplayer with the command line you configure in Utilities/Setup ->
Setup -> Media Settings -> Videos settings -> Player Settings.

You can compile mplayer with xvmc support (i.e. run configure with
--enable-xvmc) and then make your mythvideo command something like:

mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xvmc %s

Mythvideo is working great for me so I'm going to leave mine using xv.. unless
anyone has a compelling reason to use xvmc?