[mythtv-users] Live and recorded TV shifted right.

Michael Carland mcarland at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 22:31:21 UTC 2005

I've created a new setup running .17, with a PVR-500MCE in the backend,
and an EPIA M10K frontend.

The Default and LiveTV record settings are set to 720x480, and I've tried
4:3, square, and 2.21:1 aspect ratios.

The frontend is using a Noscale mode at 720x480, that has reduced overscan
(Unichrome driver). The screen settings in Myth are 690x445+0+15, and I
have tweaked them so that the menu displays are exactly the size of the
visible portion of the TV. "Use GUI size for TV playback" is not checked.
I am using "Deinterlace playback" with the Bob algorithm, and both "Use
hardware XvMC MPEG decoding" and "Use HW XvMC VLD Decoding (Via Only)". I
do see messages in the log like "Fulfilled via DRI at 5898240", I assume
that is the hardware XvMC working. All four values in the "Overscan"
settings are zero.

If I "cat /dev/video0 > testvideo.mpg" and play it in VLC, the video looks
fine. But in Myth, there is a large black area on the left, and the right
side of the video is missing. I would guess the video is shifted right
about 20%.

If I use one of the 4:3 zoom of Fill modes, way too much is cropped off
the display. I was assuming that by using both 720x480 on the capture, and
in the X display, everything should line up, and I would only be losing
what is outside the 690x445 that the menuing displays in.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Is it a problem that 720x480 is
3:2, and that is not one of the aspect ratios for the MPEG2 decoders in
the recording profiles?

Thanks,

-Michael