[mythtv-users] Import archives into Gmail

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Mon Mar 28 04:05:00 UTC 2005

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Phill Wiggin wrote:
>
>> The problem w/ gossamer is that you can't reply directly to the posts
>> you're reading.  I use gmail for archiving and it's fantastic! If I want
>> to ask a question or offer advice about something I've read, I don't
>> have to start a new thread using gmail.  Using gossamer, I have to
>> copy-paste the text of the old message and fragment the thread. (Also,
>> Gmail's threading is a bit easier to navigate in my opinion.)
>>

> Using Gmail is great, but why not just subscribe your Gmail account to
> the list?  You'll have your own archive built up in no time.  I
> wouldn't worry about importing the archives; if you really feel the
> need to reply to a very old thread, you're probably better off
> starting a new thread anyway.
>
> Just my $.02.
>
> -JAC

I do have my gmail account subscribed, but I have this address
subscribed too.  I read the interesting tidbits as they come through on
this account, then delete them to unclutter my mailbox.  I signed up
with my gmail address quite a while ago as well.  At present, my
personal MythTV archive is approximately 245Meg!

For my personal case, I have an archive in Gmail because I delete all
the posts that don't apply to my setup (out of this subscription
address), but I may run into something later and need to
search/reply/beg for help.  Using Gmail is great for that, so I don't
have to break the thread; that way people who search later will have an
easier time of it.

I hear what you're saying and you're right to an extent.  Setting up a
gmail account to archive is a good idea, but if you're just starting
your personal archive, it'd be nice to have an option to import a
(recent?) backlog of archives rather than starting from scratch.

--PhillW