[mythtv-users] MythTV .18 impending release? If so, what's in it?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Mar 28 07:06:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 00:25 -0500, Maverick wrote:
> Yeah, I'm somewhat new to mythtv (3 months), and I tried to join the
> dev list to submit a bug fix patch and never got a confirmation email.
> I guess they have all the developers they want, and don't want any
> "newbs" submitting bug fixes. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again...

Not so much.  Anyone can submit patches.  They either get accepted,
rejected, or missed.  Let's walk that path:

1. Accepted.  Gravy.
2. Rejected because...
	a) it's a badly structured fix (meaning that it doesn't take the right
approach)
	b) doesn't fit coding conventions (meaning that it'll have to be
reworked)
	c) it's a bad idea given what Myth is trying to do (meaning, don't
bother with this patch - nice try, but no cigar)
3. Missed.  Ask questions and (politely) champion your patch in case
everyone missed it.  Don't be impatient - this is a volunteer project,
remember?  And don't expect confirmation emails.  Check mythtv-commits
periodically to see if it got in...

In all cases, it's nothing personal - keep plugging away.  I'm not a
developer, but I've submitted 3 patches in total.  Two hit category 1.
One hit category 2a.  We're all doing our bit...

	-I