[mythtv-users] MythTV .18 impending release? If so, what's in it?

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 07:38:22 UTC 2005

> Cobblers. There's no restriction  on -dev users.... as you'll notice by the
> amount of complete crap that gets posted there.

Yup, I requested and got the confirmation email this time. It musta
gotten lost before...

> > I understand the not wanting to play 20 questions, but it would be
> > nice to see a list of "what is planned" for myth, after all, there
> > might be someone able to help code a particularly new feature, or
> > already working on it as a hack of their own, as to yet be shared. I
> > see new addons and stuff for myth just appear on this list with no
> > warning, sometimes, I go, 'gee, I'm glad I wasn't working on that!'
> >
> Nothing just appears by magic. Everything that gets included gets discussed on
> the dev and/or users lists.

I'm talking about 3'rd party apps. I've seen several things posted on
-users that people are like announcing, but there doesn't seem to be
any history of them having been working on it.

One such example I ran into is: http://mythextra.napsi.net/

...a mythMail (email reader) module. Something I've not only
suggested, but offered to help work on. I'd be so excited to have a
mail reader, that I'd actually connect a keyboard to my mythbox to
dev/test with!

In any case, all the projects on that page (mythmail available under
download) are not linked from any of the mythtv.org pages. I realize
it's not "usable" in the sense of being in CVS, but it would be really
cool if there where a section on mythtv.org, like here:

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Downloads

It could have links to different modules "in development" or
"unfinished", so we could at least find them without having to troll
-dev -users, google, etc. The only reason I found out about mythMail
is because I typed 'mythmail' in google... My lucky day! :)

Even better, a page where the dev's making those addon's can submit
their link to be added to this dev links section.

There's also a lacking in a collection of theme links available on
mythtv.org. Just one example is MythCenter, which I think is a very
nice theme, and although it emulates an m$ design, it's still
something people may want to know about...

Who knows, maybe if people knew about some of the addon's, they'd be
more willing to help develop them.

-Kenneth