[mythtv-users] MythTV w/Digital Cox Service ?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Mar 28 09:04:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:59:23AM -0800, Richard Sears wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Actually the Dual MP system I had laying around doing nothing, so I am
> building it to be a dedicated backend system. I have 4 300GB Raptor
> drives on an LSI SATA RAID controller on the system, and the plan is
> to have two or three front end systems all talking to the backend
> system. So the Dual system will be up in my office, so noise is not a
> factor.

Then it's double overkill, because if all you want is a backend, and
in particular if you are going to use pchdtv and wintv-pvr cards, you
could probably run your backend on a 600mhz celeron.    Maybe even
a fair bit less than that, for just recording.  (Transcoding and
commercial elmination would be anoother story.)

Recording from these cards takes effectively no CPU.  You will use
some CPU running linux itself and a few other things, but that's about
it.

For commercial skip/transcode, of course the more CPU the faster these
take place.  But they are generally no rush unless you want to watch
shows with commercial skip right after they air.

> I got the pvr-350 and the PCHDTC thinking that I needed them, but it
> sounds like I can use the firewire for everything that I need.

This also takes no CPU.  However, it's a brand new feature, and
in theory could go away for HD in the future.

> When using the firewire, I am assuming that I would need a separate
> 'digital' box and separate firewire input for each system that wanted
> to watch 'live' tv. Is that correct..?

In theory you can put multiple items on the firewire bus, no?  Firewire
runs 400 megabits.   Digital TV runs no more than about 18 megabits per
HD channel.  You won't run out on a single firewire controller.

> On Friday I get the cable system installed. I already questioned them
> about the digital box, and they would not give me much information on
> it, who made it or anything. Do you think I should call and make sure
> they are brining the right unit out..?

Check the many past threads on this mailing list about getting cable
companies to give you a firewire box the way they are required to.

> When using firewire, does audio come over it as well or do I need a
> separate card for audio.

It's digital tv, which is always audio and video together as far as I know.

> I have an Audigy 2 sound card in my system now and my Gentoo install
> sees the card and the firewire port no problem, so I am very excited
> to give this a try.

Your backend in theory doesn't need a sound card, or even a video card
unless the bios demands it for booting.   Take your dual athlon out,
it is probably just sucking electricity, and put in something like the
cheapest Sempron or Celeron you can get, and you'll still be able to
get decent commercial scan on that.