[mythtv-users] Buffering Video On Playback?

Griffon -- bushibot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:37:28 UTC 2005

George had asked about this a while back but I couldn't find a
response. Since I'm seeing similar issues I thought I would repose the
original question. Basically is there a way to set a larger buffer for
video playback to iron out the hiccups (most noticeable with dvd rips
streaming off the NFS backend)

My backend is a P4 1.7 and my front end is IBM T40 laptop 1.5M so it
seems to be network rather then horse power issue.

I'm using the recomdned mount config line in the docs

Any thoughts? Seems like full speed G should be enough for at least
single streams.

Thansk!
--
-Griffon

Hi,

Ive been playing with a wifi (802.1G) laptop running mythfrontend. It
/amost/ works, but occasionly you get a little stutter.

I assume this is because the wifi is dropping out a little.

Because it works most of the time, I have concluded that the bandwidth
of the wifi is at least enough to stream myth shows (from DVB).

Can you set Myth to read ahead a little and buffer it, to compensate
for small temporary dropouts in the connection? all it would have to
do would be to read at (say) 110% speed, and dip into the buffer when
needed.

As an aside, can mplayer be made to do this?

thanks