[mythtv-users] how to select from multiple input sources?

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 23:42:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:23:16 -0800, MagicITX <magicitx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a little more experience with it now.  You press "Y" while you
> are watching TV (in other words after you press Watch TV).  It simply
> selects the next available capture card.  I don't see any capability
> in mythfrontend to jump to a particular card.

I have an HD-3000 and a PVR-250. In mythtvsetup, I have two channel
lineups (using zap2it): one for HDTV OTA broadcast channels and one
for DirecTV.  The HDTV lineup is attached to the HD-3000 Television
input and the DirecTV is attached to the PVR-250 S-Video.

When I am watching live tv, I can switch between the cards using 'C'.
However, when I am in the guide data, if I pick a channel that only
exists in one lineup, mythtv doesn't automatically switch cards (in
other words, if I'm watching local OTA channel on HD-3000 and then
select DirecTV ESPN (channel 206), mythtv doesn't switch to the
PVR-250 card).  Is this normal or do I have something set up
incorrectly?  I end up having to change cards (with 'C') and then
changing channels.

Eventually, I hope to have three inputs on the two capture cards: two
DirecTV receivers on the S-Video input for each card, and one OTA HDTV
via the HD-3000.  I was planning on setting up two channel lineups
(the same two I have now) and just associating the DirecTV lineup
twice (to each card's S-Video) and the OTA HDTV to the HD-3000.  Will
this work, or will I need to set up three lineups (DTV1, DTV2, and
HDTV)?  If I have to set up three, will myth automatically merge them
so I won't have duplicates in my guide?

On a related topic, with the DirecTV and HDTV OTA, I have multiple
local channels (the DTV version and the HDTV OTA version of CBS, for
instance).  Is there a way to get the HDTV version chosen before the
DTV version (so when I record network channels, I get the HDTV version
versus the "standard" DTV version)?  Should this be done at the
capture card level or on a channel by channel basis?

Also, at the capture card, can I specify the input priority (so if I
have both DTV on SVideo, and HDTV on Television on the HD-3000, I can
still get the Television input to supercede the SVideo input)?

thanks,
phlepper

--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius