[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Mar 29 20:08:54 UTC 2005

> Of course this is very frustrating, as you have to say "don't delete"
> then re-watch, then seek to the place you were and find the real
> programming at the end.
>
> I suspect a better behaviour when you hit End (Skip to next commercial mark)
> if there is no next mark (or the next mark is end of program) to not seek
> at all, giving a message like the not-flagged message.   The user can
> choose to quit watching or hit "D" at that point easily enough.

There are 2 things related to this that have been on my TODO list for a while
but I haven't got around to them yet.

The first is something like you describe above, ie, don't Skip if the place
we would skip to is within about 5 seconds of the end of the program.  Instead
just popup a message saying we didn't skip and why.

The second is the ability to remember where we skipped from, so you could
hit 'Q' immediately after hitting 'Z' and 'Q' would take you back to the point
you skipped from.  This would be effective for maybe 2-3 seconds and the
remembered position would be reset once you hit 'Q' the first time, so you
could hit 'Q' another time and skip further back in the recording.  The same
would hold true for the reverse, hitting 'Z' immediately after an initial 'Q'
would take you back to where you started at.

If anyone wants to tackle these two, feel free.  They are annoying but haven't
bugged me enough yet to push them to the top of my TODO list, there's still
a few items above them.  They are fairly easy to implement though.

--

Chris