[mythtv-users] HD3000 FC3 Install guide

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:38:47 UTC 2005

Hi Jeff!

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:03:53 -0800, jeffk <jkember at gmail.com> wrote:
> "I was having problems with the pcHDTV drivers and Myth, due to some
> reception issues I have I really needed to record in TS mode instead
> of PS mode... which is only available with the DVB drivers in Myth .."
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm about to install a HD3000 card for OTA use with mythtv 0.17 (fc3
> using Jarod's howto). Can you tell me what PS mode is? I'm familiar
> with a .ts transport stream file, but not sure what you mean by PS
> mode (am I confusing things here?).

It is confusing, I wouldn't worry too much about it though :)

> Thanks.

The simple answer is that it is an option in MythSetup for dvb cards,
that lets you chose what is to be saved to disk. PS Mode is for
recording only the Program Stream portion of the broadcast. And TS
mode is for recording the whole thing.

And this is not an option for for non dvb cards, as far as I can tell
they only record in PS mode.

PS mode is fine if reception is good, but I don't have that luxury so
I needed the extra bits that are included in TS Mode.

Here is a simple definition for what I had googled to determine what a
transport stream essentially is
http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?T#Transport%20Stream
which is partially composed of
http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?P#Program%20Stream
which is composed of
http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?E#Elementary%20Stream

You should be fine following Jarod's howto, he has done a great job
with it.  I'm running Debian Sarge 2.6.10 but the steps are basically
the same.

Hope this helped!

Eric